Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympic Fashion Analysis by Leslie




My favorite part of the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics is seeing each country's fashion choices. (Which was part of my dismay when watching Project Runway this week--had these designers never watched an opening ceremonies? They were so "off" it wasn't even funny....) Needless to say, last night did not disapoint.

I'll start by reviewing the USA's apparel. I'm a big Ralph Lauren fan. There is nothing more All-American than Ralph Lauren. But I was a bit disapointed in his apparel design. Pleated white pants? Navy blazers that looked like they were swallowing the women whole? The neckties/ascots that the women had to wear looped under their white oxfords? It was simply an average fashion night for our American friends in my opinion (although a marked improvement from the tracksuits of Athens).

Far be it from me to tell the great Ralph Lauren where he went wrong but I think what I found bothersome was the men and women were literally in the exact same outfit. What, were we under budget restraints and had to buy in bulk this year?

I'm a blazer fan. I think they look crisp. But I think the outfit (for the women) would have dramatically improved if:

  • they didn't have to wear the tie around their neck...how cute would that tie been if it had been worn as a belt?
  • Their blazers were shrunken with a more feminine fit
  • They wore a white pencil skirt or tank dress underneath to coordinate with the men but give some femininity
I think the key is coordinating outfits--but not exactly the same.

I think Ralph did a much better job on the "Village Attire" for the Americans-- it's crisp, all-American, classy, etc. I actually think those polos are super cute!


So who did I approve of?

I loved Finland (who for the life of me I cannot find a picture of). The men were in navy blazers and kelly green ties and the women were in a knee length wrap style dress that were navy with a kelly green square print (with white trim) on them. Once again--coordinating, very "smart" looking, but not exactly the same.

But ooh la la, France! They did not disapoint! Beautifully coordinating outfit, trendy belts and berets on the women...the striped blazers on the men with the classic caps. Congratulations, France, you win the gold in this arena at least.


And to our friends in Australia (crazy blue tie-due jacket thing with capris and flip flops). Well, I'm sorry. I don't know what your designer was thinking. I'll leave it at that.

*** Edit--late addition: Like Tracey, I also LOVED the Netherlands outfits! I had a picture but just didn't add it to the post because I figured I'd be the only one who loved the gray and orange but I did. Plus, the good looking man certainly doesn't hurt the appeal of the outfit!!


9 comments:

Ally said...

I loved France's - LOVED IT.

We heard Bob Costas (HATE) drone on about how USA's look was 8 pieces - is he including socks and undies?

I wasn't a fan of the gratuitous polo horse - but I guess the best advertising is the free kind...whatever.

After watching the opening ceremonies, however, I do think the PR contestants were spot on for other countries, just not the US.

I thought the red dresses the Chinese women carrying the country signs were stunning. Needs pics of those - you should update this post as you get more pics!

Oh and seriously. George Bush was RIDICULOUS at the event. He and Laura kept checking their watches. He should have just stayed at home. He looked so bored - it made me sick. *rant*

Leslie said...

What is WRONG with you?!?!

You hate Bob Costas???? Seriously??? He's the best!!! I love Bob Costas!

And you're just a George hater. :-) When I saw him, he was looking all into it with his binoculars.

Ally said...

Bob Costas annoys me. *shrugs*

I wouldn't say I "hate" GWB but I sure as hell don't like him. He was sitting all laid back and sprawled out. Kept checking his watch... It was ridiculous. I wish Laura would have just slapped him and said "SIT UP!"

Leslie said...

yes he was totally slouching, and i was laughing at that too although i was thinking the same thing "sit up straight, you're the president and you know you're on camera!!!"

Ally said...

Exactly. He had his jacket off and his crotch splayed for all to see. You didn't see any other country's leader sitting like that.

It came off as very arrogant.

Changing the subject - been glued to the TV all day? We have! :)

Tracey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracey said...

I thought team USA's uniforms were a snooze. I loved the Netherlands. Gray jackets trimmed in white with the orange ties. It was awesome!
And I realize that fashion isn't exactly the main priority of the people of South Africa, but green crocs? Come on people. That's just horrible! I think I let out a little gasp when I saw that.
To all of our Louisville readers if you follow sports at all you knoe who Pat Forde is. I LOVE him and his take on the olympic fashion is great! Who knew Mr Forde cared about fashion? Not me!
Pat Forde

Leslie said...

Tracey-- I loved the Netherlands too and had a picture but just didnt post it. I edited the post and put them on there for you!

Thanks for the Pat Forde find--I love his articles!

Toni said...

Leslie! Have you forgotten what Pat Forde said about the Cards and their coach years ago? You were ready to go to the CJ and leave him a dirty note on his office door!

I liked the USA outfits but realize that I'm in the minority here. Loved the French and I can't believe I'm saying that...their outfits I mean. I'm still the one wanting to order Freedom Fries and remind them of a place called Normandy.

I like Bob Costas. And for all of you who think GWB needed to sit up and be presidential, can you sit straight in a chair and not slouch for 5 hours? Poor G, he can't even get ahead at the Olympics:-)