Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday -- Ally

I'm not pleased at all with how this cardigan washed up. It was washed on cold, gentle cycle and laid flat to dry. It looks like I ran it over in my car! It's faded in spots (mostly the edges) and the button placket is pulled and puckered. What the heck?? I think next time I'll put it in the dryer for just a little bit at the beginning or end of its drying to help give it a little shape. I'm sooo unhappy - it was really soft when I got it (silk blend) but now it's really rough and scratchy.

Cardi: NY&Co.

Tank (under cardi) Lands' End

Skirt: Target

Belt: Nine West

Flats: Sam Edelman (again!!)










The tank under this cardi is one of my new favorite items. I ordered it from Lands' End when I got yesterday's pencil skirt and it was only $10. I've been looking for a tank that's not low cut and has straps that are wide enough to wear a bra under with out the straps showing (I think that's so tacky). The tanks you get at Old Navy (like yesterday) or Target with the "built in bra" (that thing is so not a bra. I don't know who or what they hold up, but it's not me!) are so low on me that they defeat the purpose. I wear them so I don't hang out of a dress or top, but I end up pulling at it all day.

I had hoped these would fit the bill, but while wonderful, they're not long enough. They sit right where my pants hit (just below my natural waist) and when I sit down, they're all hiked up in the back. *sigh* What's a girl gotta do to cover it up??

I still really really love this tank and will probably still order more. They're great under a cardigan or by themselves, but just aren't long enough to wear as a thin layer under a dress or something like that.

Gosh - I whined through this whole post - I'm sorry! I promise to be in a better mood about my clothes tomorrow :)

11 comments:

KT said...

Ally, try www.shadeclothing.com
They have awesome tanks/camis that have a little higher scoop to the neck and a little longer length as well. The clothing line is designed for a more "modest" look and I love the camis. There is also another line called www.layersclothing.com

Anonymous said...

I'm checking KT's sites, too. I loathe peeking straps almost as much as I loathe built-in bras. I am tiny-boobed and they squish me, and I know they provide zero support for anyone with actual boobage. Great idea, crap implementation. Across the board!!

Kasmira said...

I dryclean my silk blend sweaters - even though the tag says they can be handwashed. I had the same problem you did when I washed them in water and layed them flat to dry.

E said...

Muffin, I still think you look fab. I love that skirt and still love that cardigan on you! Sorry it's itchy :(

Anjeanette said...

I hate laundry disasters! Sometimes its worth paying for the dry cleaners.

s.i. michaels said...

I resent when my clothing can't stand up to a gentle cycle in the washing machine. Quite honestly, it just makes me not want to shop at the same place since I can't afford to dryclean everything (& sometimes you get the same results from the cleaners anyways!)

Ally said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments :)

Ambika - I feel the same way. If it can't stand a little gentle washing, then it's not worth it for me to purchase it. I am awful about remembering to pick up dry cleaning (and can't afford to do it often anyway).

Leslie said...

May I highly recommend Dryel? Anything iffy I use Dryel on-- you can do 24 garmets in a $7 box. I use it for basically everything--I haven't been to the dry cleaners in almost 2 years! I've also used the solution that comes with it to remove stains and it has worked great.

Ally said...

What chemicals are in it? Have I mentioned I don't like the dry cleaner for environmental reasons too?

I mean, I make our laundry detergent... I'm kind of a weirdo about stuff. We do have a jug of the all-natural non-earth raping variety for special stuff (like that sweater).

Hillary said...

Yes, I totally understand. I have a few misbahaved clothes. But despite your struggle with it, you look great. Love the combo!

90-Dayer said...

I have that sweater too and I had the same issue after following the washing instructions, oh and mine peels like the dickens!!!! I haven't worn it in a looooong while.