Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Some magazine inspiration- Leslie

Cardigan: Express

Cami: The Limited

Skirt: The Limited

Shoes: Steve Madden


Magazine Inspiration
: Marie Claire, July 2008

A few weeks ago, Kimberly mentioned keeping a file of favorite outfits from magazines for inspiration on new ways to wear clothing items. What a fabulous idea I thought!! I read all these magazines but do nothing with them except fold down the corners of outfits or items I like and then never ever go back to what I folded down. So a couple weekends ago, I took my years worth of old issues piled up on the floor and went through and cut out outfits I like and could similarly copy from my own wardrobe. I put them all in a binder with tabs for each month of issues the photos were from (figuring in the fall, I would know to turn to fall months for inspiration).

So last night, I went looking for inspiration and found this picture. What I didn't realize until this afternoon is that it is the exact same outfit Kimberly gained her inspiration from a couple weeks ago--too funny! Great minds think alike!

I actually had another photo that I didn't have enough guts for--one magazine had this actual skirt in their April issue--paired with a black and white striped top (it was showing how to incorporate stripes and florals together). I had the items in my closet to copy the photo almost exactly--but I just don't know that Louisville is fashion forward enough to appreciate stripes and florals and not look at me weird as I walk down the street so I went for the more conservative look.

Only thing I did not have--no chunky necklaces and seeing my photo, I think that really would have tied everything together. Must look for long, chunky necklaces!

So this is my new thing--with my "Binder of Inspiration", I'm going to try to post a few outfits a month with my inspiration photo, just so you can see a magazine photo on a "real gal". It'll be fun!

12 comments:

KT said...

This is an awesome, awesome look! And a binder, how organized! I just rip pages out and lay them around, carry them around, give up and toss them or give up and just buy what I want!

Ally said...

You're so funny - I can't wait to dig in your binder! Cute skirt too :)

SHOEGAL said...

I cut out that picture too! I will definitely have to do an outfit from it now you have one.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, your outfit ~~~ so much better than mine! I love that skirt. Also, I am very impressed with your organization. I just have a big plastic folder thing I keep my pics in. I double dog dare (that means you have to do it!) you to pair pinstripes and florals - I think it would look great!

KT said...

Ooooh! You know a double dog dare is a MUST. You do NOT back down from a double dog. This is getting exciting!

ohthatgirl said...

Love the skirt! And you did a great job with the look. KT said it...you CANNOT back down from a double dog dare. Do it!!! ;O)

Jane said...

Guess what I will be doing tonight?
Love the look.

Jamie said...

Double Dog Dare! You HAVE to do it now! Way cute outfit!

Leslie said...

You people are scaring me--maybe I'll try it out on a church day or something when Im just wearing it for a couple hours in front of a limited audience until I get more confidence!

Anonymous said...

Leslie - I didn't know the mob mentality would spread so quickly! Ha - I do think the pattern mixing would be great though, but fashion and style is all about what makes you comfortable.

Tracey said...

It looks great! You did a fantastic job replicating the pic

Louella said...

Love the skirt, Les!