Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday- Leslie



Bird Cardigan: CAbi

Dot Print Skirt: The Limited

Red Cami: NY & Company

Red Heels: Diba (Meijer)

Mixing patterns has always been a bit scary for me. For two years I thought I had to wear this skirt with only solid color tops since it had the small dot print in it.

I then saw someone wearing a printed cardigan with a lightly pinstriped pant once and realized I loved the look--the print on the bottom was small so it didn't conflict with the top. When I bought this cardigan, I realized it would be a perfect chance to practice mixing prints by matching it with this skirt.

Mixing prints is hit or miss--sometimes you hit it out of the ballpark and sometimes you strike out badly. A couple summers ago, I decided to try the whole idea of mixing stripes that I had seen in so many magazines so I wore black pants with a bold white pinstripe, and a black and white wide horizontal stripe cashmere tee. It wasn't good. My honest co-workers told me it wasn't. But that was ok--I didn't have any meetings that day so only the people in my office and the ones that I passed coming in from the parking garage saw my faux pas. But you know what? It was worth a try. It was outside the box. And it helped me figure out that the look could have worked--if the pinstripe had not been so bold. So I learned something.

That's what fashion is all about. And that's your challenge--hit a home run this week--but don't be so afraid of striking out.

14 comments:

KT said...

Adorable! I love that sweater! Also, I am now wearing my orange heels today. At some point I really am going to have to put my shoes on my desk. I have no idea why I am so amused by that but I am!

Jamie said...

Yeah you are stinkin cute in that outfit. Even though you know my thoughts concerning that sweater, you pull it off in style girl.

Leslie said...

Thank you, kt! I love printed cardigans and always look to buy some. Jamie on the other hand is not so fond of them ;-) I believe her quote was "Well, it's not my style, but as long as you like it that's what matters" Haha.

Barbie said...

You gals have the most amazing shoes I've ever seen in my life! I love your style!

Ally said...

That's sweet - thanks!!

You just wait, kitten...there are a LOT more shoes :)

Ally said...

Les - is that the sweater w/the meshy back that I thought was all hot 'n sexy? It's quite the scandalous cardi!

Erica said...

LESLIE! You are a super star! LOVE the sweater!!! Will check in regularly to see what you ladies are putting together! Erica Salmon

Kasmira said...

I agree with you about at least trying something new (like pattern mixing). Who cares if you spend one day (or a couple) of your life looking silly! Think of all the fabulous days before and after!

BTW, I LOVE that sweater. What a fun and unexpected print.

Anonymous said...

Love your skirt! you look fab.

Anonymous said...

I adore that cardi! It is so great and I love that you paired it with the small polka dot skirt.

Leslie said...

Ally- hThis is not "Sexy Back" sweater--but that one is fabulous--I'll have to shot it off one day and get someone to take a picture of me from the back :-)

Thanks everyone for the compliments--this has been my favorite outfit of the spring/summer that I've put together! See Jamie, printed cardigans are FABULOUS!

Toni said...

Ok...this it TOTALLY fabulous on you and you KNOW that I will tell you the truth!!!

I like the cardigan better on than on the rack. Smashing really! Dig the shoes. I have a pair just like them and they are really comfortable for a $20 pair of shoes.

Leslie said...

Told you it was cute when I bought it "toni"--gotta trust me!

Jamie said...

I NEVER said it wasn't fabulous :) I just said it was not my style! HA! That is why we are different. Love ya girl!