Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday--Leslie



Jacket: Ann Taylor Loft

Tee: Mossimo

Skirt: J Crew

Belt: Forever 21

Shoes: Fioni

Had a "spirited" discussion with the family after church Sunday (just so we're clear, I often wear the same outfit to work Monday that I wore to church Sunday. The way I see it is, I only had it on for 2 hours Sunday and Monday mornings are impossible to coherently think, so I have an outfit ready to go).

Anyhow, we had a "discussion" about which way this jacket looked best--belted on top or the belt under the jacket with the jacket open. My opinion is that while one may look better, they are both viable options to switch up the look. But the question asked was "Why would you want to wear it a different way if it looks better one way?" I'm having trouble explaining the concept of using accessories and different colors underneath to make an outfit completely different and seem new. Yes, I may have a "favorite" way of wearing the pieces--but it makes your wardrobe look more extensive by switching things up, even if Outfit A makes you look 10 lbs thinner and Option B only makes you look your size.

Anyhow...I'm getting off track. So the question is this-- which way do you feel this outfit is more flattering? Belt overtop jacket or belt under jacket? Aside from the wilted hair, I tried to look as similar as possible in each pic so you could make an accurate comparison.

Please leave your opinion in comments section. There is no right or wrong answer and you won't offend me either way. I just need some outside perspective on what the best way to wear a belt on an "apple" shape person is!!

Side note--I cant wait to wear this jacket on the weekend with denim--it was a recent clearance purchase. I have an affinity for the total prepster look.

12 comments:

KT said...

OK, I like it both ways but if I don't absolutely love the yellow underneath the 1st pic coming below the line of the jacket. Does that make sense? For me it interferes too much with the waist of the jacket ahd the belt. Maybe if the cami-t-shirt has to be longer navy would appeal to me more. But in picture #2 it is fine.

Kasmira said...

I like the belt under the jacket best. A bit more modern and it looks more comfortable.

Toni said...

Underneath the jacket. Hands down. In person, it's much more attractive that way. And I always tell the truth!

Jamie said...

Now I am going to be the other POV. I prefer the look of the belt on the jacket. The other way is just fine, but I think you look more "put together" this way. Again, just my opinion, you know you are darling no matter what :)

Anonymous said...

Based on the pics, both look good. I agree with Kasmira wearing the belt underneath it looks like it would be more comfortable for you though. I would say since it is such a toss up, do what works best for you! Great blazer by the way - I love madras plaid!

Audi said...

The belt on top looks more structured and better defines your waist, but I agree that it looks more comfortable and relaxed with it under. It also depends on what's going on with the back of the jacket. A lot of times those little blazers have a cute buttoned belt or other shaping detail in the back that I think is a shame to cover up. A red belt would look great with that outfit too.

Leslie said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I agree, it is more comfortable underneath but they both are different looks and allow a switch it up. Good comment on tucking the shirt in if I ever wear the belt over. And I love the idea of a red belt--I'm going to try next time! It's far too hoochy for work (short skirts dont fly--I feel fortunate to not have to wear pantyhose!) but for the weekend, I'd like to try the red chino skirt from Saturday with the blazer and tan heels. I think the blazer is plaid enough to not look like the American flag on my body. I think. We'll find out :-)

CDPGreek said...

Belt over everything... I debated in my head a bit, but I really thinkg it looks different and gutsy. Not to say the other way is not, but I know a lot of people who would be comfortable with the belt underneath, but I could only think of a few who would dare to bare it on the outside. Thus, my reasoning for liking it on the outside... it's more daring and different. It shows a lot of thought and both ways look good, so it's a win-win situation regardless!

Daniel said...

Open with the belt under. I like the look of the more yellow.

Tara Wasson said...

I like it both ways, but I think that it draws your eye toward your waist in a good way with the belt underneath. It makes for a tinier looking waist that way. Not to say that your waist looks large in the top pic. I am with you though on changing things up to have a more versatile wardrobe! I wish I could wear things on Monday that I wore to church. I teach kids on Mondays that I go to church with on Sundays :(.

BTW I love this blog idea, too cute!

Tracey said...

Another vote for the belt under cute jacket! I love madras. I need to break out my madras sundress!!

Ally said...

I'm going to AMEN the above posters: Belt under the jacket. It looks cute over the jacket and I've successfully worn the look myself. I think what's key, for me at least, is to tuck in the shirt so the line is more at the waist and not the shirt hitting your hips.

I'm loving that jacket and think it' be precious with the red skirt. I'm gonna veto the high heels w/that skirt though. It has streetwalker potential.