Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday-- Leslie


Striped Button Down: The Limited

Vest/Waistcoat: NY and Company

Pants: CAbi

Shoes: Schutz

Before we get into the clothing discussion of the day, I have to give a shout-out to the two people who first enabled my love of fashion--my parents. :-) Happy 27th Anniversary, Mom and Dad. I love you both and admire you so much. And for the record, I must say that my mom is quite the hot fashionista herself (she looks better and dresses better now than she did at my age and she'll admit it! Maybe she'll be open to writing a guest post one day if everyone asks nicely.....) and my dad has quite excellent style himself. In fact, unlike most men, he actually LIKES to shop I think. While most of my friends complain about the clothes their parents get them, I must say mine hit the ball out of the park 99% of the time--and Dad is usually the one who does the shopping!

Anyhow, today is the compilation of trends I've been obsessed with. First off, I keep seeing all these great fashionista bloggers just looking so stylish with their waistcoats. I loved the look on everyone else but was scared to try it myself. However, I became obsessed and headed to the mall last night and picked up a vest to try the trend out. I'm still not sure if I think it's "me" -- but it's fun and I have a couple more ideas of things to try as well! I went back and forth literally all day long, buttoning and unbuttoning. I couldn't make up my mind which way looked better. If you have an opinion for future wearings, feel free to toss it out.

The other trend (you may not actually call this a trend but whatever) is navy and orange. I've stared longingly at the Ann Taylor storefront with their navy, orange and white ensembles and wanted to buy something. Then I realized I didn't have to--I had all the pieces to put together already. Shocking, I know. But aren't you proud? I walked away. Yeah, don't be proud. It's been a bad shopping month. That's the only time I think I resisted in the last 2 weeks.

But it's my birthday month. And every item I've bought has been under $40. That's the excuse and rationalization for this month at least. It's a good one...right?

9 comments:

KT said...

Love this look! I'm wearing a vest today also. It's black, but what makes it so cute is the front has a scoop neck and the back is racer-style. I got it at Charlotte Russe for around $20!

Ally said...

Not my favorite look, Les. It's very Brady Bunch or '70s marching band. Maybe it's cuter in person? Maybe it's just b/c the vest is white?

I don't dislike the shape of the outfit at all - it's quite flattering. I'm just not wild about the colors.

Oh and buttoned is way cuter.

Kasmira said...

Yay - I have the same vest! I find that pairing something menswear (like a waistcoat) with something feminine (skirt or frilly blouse) works best.

Orange/navy/white is in? Awesome. I'm wearing that combo next week.

Toni said...

Ok I like the waistcoat (we called them vests!) on you. I love the navy and orange combo and especially the orange stripe in the blouse. Maybe you could scoop me some ice cream in that outfit!

And I know for a fact that Leslie looks way better than her mom did when she was 27! I now look younger at 43 than I did when I was 27! Pictures were totally scary really! That's what having two kids and going to college will do to you! Love you Les! PS-her daddy is an excellent shopper and has great fashion sense:-)

Audi said...

Love the waistcoat on you! As for the buttoning/unbuttoning, I usually just leave the bottom one or two buttons undone -- it keeps the fitted look but is a little more relaxed-looking and comfy. You can also leave it all the way unbuttoned and put a belt over it for a completely different look.

Ashley said...

I don't leave comments much, but I feel compelled to do so today. I like the vest idea (I have a navy one myself) but I usually wear it with a fashion tee.

While I feel the vest is flattering on you and definately something to keep, I feel like you're selling me popcorn at a baseball game. It's not my favorite.....

Leslie said...

Good thoughts everyone except my mean sister.

I'm still liking the concept but I'm feeling the couple buttons left open and really thinking like Kasmira said, I need to wear with some of my cute pencil skirts or a ruffly top. Sex it up a little with a pencil skirt and some pointy heels :-)

Anonymous said...

I love vests! I agree with Audi about wearing it buttoned but with a couple unbuttoned - it seems to work the best for me. I wore Navy, Coral & White today also! I just read your Anchor comment - Delta Gamma, right? I'm a Tri Delt. Our symbol is a dolphin which is not something you can fashionably incorporate into your wardrobe, so I say go for it with the Anchor! Nautical is so in this season!

Pearly said...

vest closed, not open :) I think you look cute.