Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wednesday -- Ally

I'm having the hardest time finding a good spot for pics now that the sun is changing its position. My previous "new" spot is too dark in the mornings and this spot is too light. *sigh*

Dress: JCP/Worthington (It's on super clearance now - I had to get a size down too, so keep that in mind if you're ordering)

Cardi: NY&Co.

Tights: no idea. They now live in the trash can. More on that in a bit.

Shoes: JCP (Mama got them for $2.94 or something nuts earlier in the summer!)

Bag: Furla *swoon drool*

This is the "real life" picture for the Peanut Gallery (ahem Tracey, Kimberly, and KT!)




Tim Gunn and I are both firm believers in the idea of "Just because it comes in your size doesn't mean you should wear it." I realize I'm not 115 lbs and a size 2. I'm frankly thrilled of that fact, but whatever. I know my limitations when it comes to wearing some things and work around it. For one, I don't look good in white and ivory, so you'll not see me wear it. I look like crap in shorts and short skirts so I don't wear them. I, along with 99% of the population, shouldn't wear low-rise anything, so I don't.

However, some jackass thought it'd be a great idea to make low-rise TIGHTS and I bought them on accident. It never occurred to me to look for that on the package. I saw my size (*cringe*), my color, and ran to the register. Who knew they'd make tights that dissect you in places you didn't even know could be cut into. I pulled and I tugged and I kicked and I stretched and I kicked (you know you love Sally O'Malley!) and I couldn't get the blasted things up over my butt! I finally threw some Spanx over 'em because I was going to be late for work. I made a Walmart run as soon as everyone got to work and swapped those babies for some REAL tights. Tights that come up to my waist like proper tights should. What boggles my mind is this: If it's cold enough outside for tights, would you NEED low-rise pants? Isn't a bare middrift a seasonal thing anyway?

Cute, huh? I love a good deal and I especially love a deal when I don't even have to pay for it! :)

16 comments:

V said...

I've done that myself before (low rise tights) and always check the package now! Who would have thought they needed to make tights low rise? I think it's ridic too!

V said...

I've done that myself before (low rise tights) and always check the package now! Who would have thought they needed to make tights low rise? I think it's ridic too!

Anonymous said...

My name is Kimberly and I, too, have been a victim of Low Rise Tights! The worst day of my life - eva (to be read like Mark Walberg in Fear!)

However, Ally dear, you look adorable - that little button on the shoes and that Furla bag IRL. ♥ it!

KT said...

OK, I am totally going to ruin someone's day here but I can not pass this up. Two words:
Maternity Thong

Love the bag BTW

Kelly said...

Those shoes are adorable!

I think I'm going to be the lone dissenter here and say that I love the idea of low-rise rights. For some reason when tights hit me at the waist it just annoys the crap out of me, which is, for the most part, the reason I'm 99% converted over to stockings and thigh highs. And why I went on a rabid search for low-rise long johns to wear under my jeans in college (walking all around campus in only jeans is NOT warm!)

Plus, just aesthetically I HATE it when the waistband of tights, or a slip, or whatever comes up higher than the waistband of the skirt I'm wearing! I'm not a big fan of low-rise stuff, but the waistband of most tights goes up way higher than mid-rise anything. Just a pet peeve :(

Louella said...

glad you like your shoes. they really look cute with tights.

Anonymous said...

OK, actual LOW rise tights should not exist. But I will come right out and say that tights generally come up to my armpits and the few pairs I have that ride a little lower are so lovely. I'm just sayin'

90-Dayer said...

Yes, I too have been a victim of low-rise tights. A man had to have came up with that crap!

You look adorable, as always!

Ally said...

V, Kimberly, and PPP - So glad I'm not the only one - it's awful, isn't it?? I feel like we need to sit in a circle and talk about it or something.

KT - You're dead to me.

Kelly - I get that. However, I'm slowly turning into a granny and sorta like stuff pulled all up and stuff.

Mama - Thanks for the shoes :)

Sal - A lot of hosiery comes up to my armpits and could be classified as a unitard too. I just shove those down to the proper height - why can't they make some that are the right height? The stupid chart on the back is so ridic too. If you're short then you're skinny and if you're tall then you're fat. Uh, no?

Leslie said...

Low rise tights? Seriously, what's the purpose?

Ally said...

To piss me off :)

We talked about this all day at work. It just doesn't make sense - AT ALL.

Tara Wasson said...

Love this post! One of my faves. I especially like how you were on a rant about the tights and then oh look cute shoes. Cute outfit by the way too!!

Ally said...

Aww thanks, Tara! I can only rant so long before I'm distracted by something cute/pretty/sparkly! :)

Erica said...

Love this outfit! Tights with dresses are my wintertime staple.:) I'm on the fence about low-rise tights...it depends on the dress I'm wearing. Sometimes, if they hit right at the waist, they make a little roll under certain dresses, and then I have to put on a slip, and then oh crap I'm late for class! etc. Sorry, mini rant.

But you look great! And you crack me up.

You look great!

Hillary said...

Seriously Low Rise Tights??? I am so glad I haven't been a victim yet. When is this low rise madness going to end???

Elise said...

So what type of tights do you like? I hate tights, but during the colder months they're necessary with skirts otherwise I freeze, but I've never found tights that I like that fit my curves. We have similar body types so I'm wondering if you've found a brand that actually fits nicely and you can wear more than once (I always wind up tearing mine after one wear).