Friday, October 31, 2008

Foray into colored tights -- Leslie

Black Wrap Tee: CAbi

Black Pencil Skirt: The Limited

Scarf: Mark

Plum Tights: Merona

Pumps: Type A

Decided to channel my inner Gossip Girl and try out wearing colored tights today--and it was quite fun! In fact I liked it so much I ordered some red tights as well (contrary to what some people think--you know who you are-- I think they could be cute, especially around the holidays! :-) ). They received good comments for the most part! One co-worker said this morning she didn't like them--but they had grown on her by the end of the day and this evening I had 3 different people stop and ask me where I got them while I was standing in a lobby chatting in the evening. Funness! However, I will say I had read that if you're going to wear colored tights you have to walk with confidence which I made a habit to do all day (I try to every day but today even more so than normal)-- because they were noticed and statement making! If I was nervous about wearing them (and no doubt, I was--there is a fine line between trendy and chic and teenage 80s flashback as we all know), I couldn't show it. And I didn't. I think so much of fashion is like that--if you are confident and believe in what you have on, others start to believe as well no matter what their original instinct.

3 random pieces of note on this picture:
1. There is evidently a water spot on my camera lens. There is NOT a white round spot on the center of my skirt
2. This is my favorite ultra flattering wrap tee. However, I hate that my scarf fell to the side the way it did in the pic on the left because you can't see any of the ruching and waist definition it gives like you could the other time I wore it. I'll fix it for the next wearing so you can see-- it's a great shirt and I'm going to be getting it in teal as well I like the fit so much (and the fact that it's the only wrap top I don't have to pin to keep from flashing everyone).
3. I got this mop of hair cut at lunch--it had gotten so long for me! It's only been 7 weeks but my hair grows fast, plus with short hair, 7 weeks is an eternity between cuts!

Last but not least, my inspiration for red tights....Miss Blair Waldorf. Blair inspired me to wear feathers earlier this season. I just try not to think about the fact that they play high schoolers on tv and I'm about a decade past that. Seriously, what high schooler dresses like that?!?!?!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I do love the look of the purple tights but not sure I could fake that confidence. I really wish I could, I may have to even try it some day. The problem is my boss is a big stickler for etiquette and gives me "the look". Keep in mind, she is also over 60!!

Jules said...

I am loving coloured tights this year although I did put green ones on with a black skirt and top this morning. I decided that was a no no on Halloween - too witchy!

Anonymous said...

I agree that bright tights can toe the 80s line, but it's worth the risk. You look great and statementy and HAPPY! Can't wait to see the red ones in action.

hillary said...

I am so blair today
http://byhillary.blogspot.com/2008/10/happy-halloween.html

Anonymous said...

Blair is my current fashion icon. Love her and don't care that she's in high school. Her clothes are fab!

Loving the purple tights. They look great on you!

Kelly said...

OK, I LOVE this! I've been kind of on the fence about brightly colored tights, and I couldn't think of any color that wouldn't make me feel silly, but I think this purple is perfect!!

Jane said...

I think your tights look fab. I have just bought some red ones too. And some blue ones. Although I am not allowed to buy any new clothes for a year I did say right at the beginning I could buy hosiery and I am so glad now!

Jamie said...

You know my thoughts! I like you in the magenta but I have to put a stop on the red :)

Erica said...

I ordered bright blue tights! I'm on board with the trend, you look great. :)