Friday, December 5, 2008

The purchase I never regretted


Cord Jacket: Mossimo

White Button Down: Bitten

Tweed Skirt: J Crew

Nude Fishnets: Vera Wang/Kohl's

Tall Boots: Maripa

Cashmere Scarf: Burberry (ok not cheap, but work with me for a day)

You always remember your first frivolous, designer purchase--the one you spend a good chunk of your paycheck on or in my case, almost all your Christmas money. That item that you look at and think "Yes, be jealous, that's mine."

This Burberry scarf is that item to me. I was 20 and Santa had just bought me a new camel peacoat for Christmas and I decided I wanted a Burberry scarf to go with it. So while Dad was fitted in Rodes for a new suit he was picking up in a day after Christmas sale, I tried on Burberry scarves.

Was it a huge amount of money for a 20 year old who's job was working for $6 an hour in the university's Admissions office? Absolutely. Most of my friends and family thought I had seriously lost my mind. However, have I ever regretted the purchase, even for a minute? Never, not one. It's classic, it's chic and will truly last forever and never go out of style. And come cold winter days, unless I'm wearing pink or some clashing color, it's the only scarf I reach for. And will for years to come.

What was your first frivolous purchase? Did you regret it?

7 comments:

Mrs.D said...

It is a really pretty scarf. The whole outfit looks great.

You know, I don't think I've made a major fashion purchase yet. But, the more I read your blog the more I'm inspired to buy! lol

Katie Keisler said...

Hmm... I can't think of a purchase like that, for myself - but I am glad to hear that your scarf has brought you years and years of fashion use! :-)

That little story makes me more likely to spurlge on something that I want!

Katie

V said...

I absolutely love your nude fishnets! I think that's a great idea. My frivolous purchase was my Gucci purse. I have not regretted it at all...still love it and can carry it forever.

Sara said...

I drove to a mall an hour away to pick up a ridiculously expensive pair of gray Aldo boots that I had been dying to have in my closet. They are seriously the best boots ever and I don't regret the purchase for a second. Not even when I got home and realized that my diamond engagement ring was no longer on my finger. Not even as I tearfully called every single place I had visited that day. Not even as I made the two hour round trip BACK to the shoe store to retrieve said ring from underneath the accessory rack that it had rolled under.
They were a lot of trouble, but totally worth it.

Christina said...

My LV purse. Bought it with my first bonus at work...and have had it for 4 yrs now.

Anonymous said...

You did well, lady. A classic like that may be a splurge, but it's never a mistake.

My first frivolous purchase was my first pair of Fluevogs. I NEVER wore heels, and these had 3" ones. But I still adore them, still wear them, and have since become both a heel-wearer and an avid Fluevogger.

Unknown said...

love the scarf! My first has to be a pink/brown Coach purse I bought at an outlet with my 21st birthday money. I love that thing! I still always grab it, unless it's with something impractical or that pink just does not go with!