Friday, December 26, 2008

The morning after.

It's always a bit of a let down the day after a major holiday or event, huh? You get so wound up for The Big Day that when it's all said and done you wonder, "What now?" I always feel this way after events and never learn my lesson. I am so focused on that one day, that one thing, that I lose sight of the forest for that one, single tree.

I hope you all took the time yesterday and the days preceding to slow down a little, say something nice to your pesky little brother, hug your parents, not nag your husband, or just relax. The holiday season isn't just about magical events that may or may not have happened. It's also about spending it with family and friends and people who love and respect you. We all have different religious views and opinions, and it's important to embrace the differences and cultivate new understandings of your own views through others.

I'll not be posting about gifts I gave or received or anything related. Cliche as it may be coming from a fashion blogger, I take deep issue with the materialism of religious holidays.

I had a great day with my family and Al and I look forward to Sunday when we celebrate with his family and our close friends (who are family to us too). I can only hope you're all as fortunate as I have been this year. I'm employed, I have an amazing family, a loving, caring boyfriend, and my dog is awfully sweet too.

I did get a little festive on Christmas Eve and dressed in red and green. You won't see me wear much red, but I will wear green!

Top: Old Navy ($6!!)

Lace cami: Old Navy ($5!!)

Pants: Old Navy

Shoes: Dollhouse via Zappos

Pin/necklace: gift

Sleepy eyes: late night with Tracey and Al :)





I'm lucky to not only have family that I'm related to and look like, but I also have family that I've chosen. I "adopted" our neighbor when I was 4 and she's my 3rd grandma. I love her just the same as the others, and her parents were great-grandparents to me.

When her mother passed away at the ripe old age of 96 (or was it 97?) her pins were made into bigger pins and given to family members. I got a Christmas pin and it's one of my most treasured belongings. I'm so afraid the glue is going to give out and I'll lose a pin, but I wear it anyway knowing GiGi would be proud of me.







I'm also positive she would appreciate these hotsy shoes! haha

I know Leslie is deeply offended by ankle straps and won't come within 10 feet of a shoe with one, but I like them. I don't think they make my ankles look thick or my legs short and they have such a charming retro flair to them. (I give Les a load of grief every time ankle strap shoes come up - don't want anyone thinking I'm picking on her!)

These shoes are a "little much" as it is, though, so I reserve them for wearing with pants so as to mute the LOOK AT MY HOT RED SHOES vibe they send out.

6 comments:

KT said...

1) You look adorable
2) Those ARE some hotsy shoes
3) I never knew Leslie is anti-ankle strap. Why Leslie? I love them! I feel girly and sexy all at once in them.
XOX-
KT

Leslie said...

#1- Agree with you on the post holiday letdown...you gear up and gear up and shop and decorate and rush to events...and then it's just all over.

#2- Your outfit is super cute--I like wearing red and green together just around the holidays as well!

#3- KT- I have no issues with ankle straps with pants. I like ankle strap shoes and the toe cleavage you get from them. I do however think if you are under 5'8" and/or have short legs, they make your leg look chopped off and even shorter when you wear them with a skirt or dress. That is where my deep dislike for ankle strap shoes comes from. I think the way Ally is wearing them is very cute!

Athena said...

Those shoes are beautiful!

I hope your holiday was wonderful.

Hillary said...

I love the festive outfit and the shoes are super fab. I used to wear ankle straps and kind of have gotten away from them b/c of my height, but like you, I do wear them occasionally with pants. Christmas may be over, but NYE is right around the corner...

Anonymous said...

I can't take my eyes off your hot red shoes ...

V said...

I love the pin idea and love the shoes!