Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Basic Black (and White)


Knit Jacket and High Waisted Pencil Skirt: CAbi

White Cuffed Button Down: Banana Republic

Pearl Headband: Forever 21

Black Tights: Merona

Peep Toe Houndstooth Pumps: Chinese Laundry

Sometimes basic black and white just works. I debated quite a bit about adding a bit of color to this outfit but decided against it and instead chose to stay classic and ladylike for the day. I'm glad I did--I think it helped the shoes stand out and be the statement piece (I'm wearing peep toes with tights everyone--I'm trying to get over my aforementioned issues!). And I received a ton of compliments all day- my purse was red patent leather so I did have a small pop of color.

I commented a month or so ago that I like tights but hate hose and got a couple questions asking why I liked one but hated the other--weren't they the same thing? The answer is no, they absolutely are not! Tights, being thick, at least provide some warmth whereas pantyhose provide none. I'm not a major fan of either honestly (although as we all know, I am enjoying colored tights) but if I'm going to have to cover my legs and not just be able to go bare legged, I'm at least going to be warm! Also hose run all the time the minute your fingernail grazes them and tights are sturdier. And there are more choices you can use to personalize with tights over hose. Hence all my reasons for hating pantyhose and liking tights. Random but there you go. And Merona/Target has by far the best tights for the price.

I know we aren't a book club on here but with the post title "Basic Black" I feel the need to recommend one of my favorite career/life advice books of the same name by Hearst Publishing CEO Cathie Black. I highly recommend it to any up and coming career woman!

PS - GO VOTE!!!!!!!! I don't care who you vote for--well, I hope you vote for my guy -- but even if you don't, I just want you to vote! I've never missed an election and don't plan to start now. When I turned 18, I was most excited to register to vote--I'm such a political nerd!

And if you wear your "I Voted" sticker to Krispy Kreme today, you get a free doughnut!!!! Don't even get me started that my county is cheap and doesn't give out stickers. I'm going to have to see if someone will loan me theirs!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for wearing tights with peep toes! Those shoes are perfect with the outfit.

As for the sticker - perhaps your taxes are cheaper since they don't provide them!

Benni said...

I <3 black/white, too; nice job on showcasing the shoes. And happy Election Day!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree on tights versus hose. Once April comes, I put away the tights and break out the self-tanning cream!

Black IS beautiful!

Toni said...

Kudos on the headband. I love black and white. It ALWAYS works.

Only vote if you're voting for my guy:-)

Anonymous said...

Can't go wrong with B&W. And hey, well done on peep-toes/tights! Push those boundaries, lady.

Hillary said...

I am so with you...tights rock ans hose suck! Love the black and white!