Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday -- Ally

Well, you win some and you lose some. Today's outfit has been the biggest headache. It looks cute enough in this pic, but in practice, it's annoying.
Cardi: NY&Co.

Navy dress: Target

Green lacy top: Target

vintage slip visible at hem: thrifted

Tights: Walmart (can't find a link. They're the George ones. May be instore only)

Boots: Frye

Necklace: no idea





The idea of this was much better than the practice (sorta like how Communism is good on paper but bad in practice). When standing still, the lace edge of the slip at the hem of the dress was cute. However, when I sat then stood, I had to adjust and pull and tug to get everything to hang just right. Then I'd take a step and the dress would jack up in the back. *sigh*

See? It means well. It just doesn't work b/c it bugs me. If you're not comfortable in something, it'll look like crap no matter how cute it really is.

But you know what doesn't bug me? These tights. They're the cheapie $5 ones at Walmart and I like them FAR more than the $6 ones at Target. They're a lot thicker and not as sheer. They're super soft and warm AND the waist band is all wide and doesn't dig. Total winner!



I also don't like this green top with the dress/cardi. I like where I was going with the lace and color contrast, but it just didn't work. I think if the top weren't v-neck it would have gone better.

It also pulled to one side and with all the layers I had going on, I finally just let it go :) It was a balmy 25 this morning when I left so while annoying, the layers were greatly appreciated!




No close up of the boots (sorta forgot!) but these are probably my favorite shoes. I know it's hard to pick a favorite, but these are it. They're comfortable for about eight hours, but after that, not so much. I walked the Seven Hills of Rome in these bad boys, so they're in it for the long haul!

16 comments:

Katie Keisler said...

At least it looks cute! Sometimes the "best" looks are a pain to wear... but eh, you win some and you lose some! I usually choose comfort over style! This outfit will at least keep you warm! Oh, and kudos for your WalMart tights - that's where I get mine too!!

Katie

Ally said...

Thanks, Katie! It was warm and super comfortable - all that matters some days :)

90-Dayer said...

Oh man! I L-O-V-E the George tights. I love how they cradle my tummy in the oh-so-soft control top. I had atleast 5 or 6 pair last year if I wouldn't have gained a little poundage, I would still be wearing them now. I even put them through the washer. Great product at a great price!!!

OK. To the outfit. Doesn't that suck when you pull and tug all day? I don't know if you remember my post with the royal blue Ralph Lauren dress? Cute but wasn't worth the extra work out keeping it where I wanted it! You should just stand all day :)

Very cute though. Chatty Cathy signing off now! Have a great day!

Ally said...

I do remember that dress, P3 (my new nickname for you. heehee). I wish I could get paid to just stand around and look cute!

Good to know about the George tights. I like how cottony and dense they are. Super opaque and the waistband is awesome. I didn't get the control top b/c you know, life's too short. I'm giving up control top for the winter :D

Athena said...

i love the boots. I've been hunting for a pair online for a few weeks now, but nothing I've fallen for has come up yet.

Anonymous said...

I am totally heading to Wally World to get some tights. I hate most of the Target tights and my Old Navy ones are on their last leg.
I love all the layers, but boo hiss for all the tugging and straightening!

Anonymous said...

You LOOK adorable, but I so know that feeling: The evil High Maintenance Outfit. Bleargh!

Paul said...

I'm with you - sometimes I change after taking the pic because it just doesn't feel right.
But trying things out is so important.

Unknown said...

how long did it take you to break in your frye boots? I have a pair and they don't quite fit in the calf.

Ally said...

Thanks for all the great comments, ladies. You're the best :)

D'Rae: I've had mine for almost two years and they didn't feel great right off the bat. I wore them pretty much non-stop (when not at work) for several months. Fortunately, the don't hit at my widest part of my calf. Otherwise, they'd not fit at all. I have really wide calves and have a heck of a time finding boots to fit.

There is a "break" on the front of the right boot and it pokes right into the front of my ankle and by the end of the day it's super painful. I wish I could straighten them somehow :(

Which style do you have? These are the 12R and are the middle height ones.

Hillary said...

Oh I've had many days where I fight with my clothes... You look great! I must say, those are some awesome boots! nd thanks again for the boot info. They are now on my santa wish list. I hope I was good this year :-)

Unknown said...

I have the Frye Enginneer 15R ones in gaucho. http://www.thefryecompany.com/Product-Women-Boots-Tall%20Shaft-77555BLK.aspx

I have only actually wore them out of the house once. They have also been to the cobbler once to stretch out the calves. I might have to take them again. I did notice that the day I did wear them, (for about 4 hours) there was a spot on the ankle that rubbed funny on me also.

Sara said...

Thanks for the 'review' on the Wal-Mart tights! I realized this weekend that I need (ok, want) a pair of navy tights but dreaded the hunt for a good pair. Now I know right where to go!

s.i. michaels said...

Love that peak of slip. I keep meaning to track a vintage one down...Love the necklace, too. Such great beads.

E said...

OMG I laughed my butt off at your communism comment.

You look bitchin'. :)

Ally said...

D'Rae - Do you think you could have a bit of elastic put in the back of them? I know it'd be expensive, but they're spendy boots and would probably be worth it. Mine are several inches shorter than yours and that's the only reason they fit me.