Monday, April 13, 2009

Easy Mixing of Black and Brown


Black Cardigan: Ann Taylor Loft
Black Tank: Merona
Brown Cuffed Pants: Banana Republic
Black Pumps: Pleaser
Neckerchief: Stolen from my grandmother
I've seen several people mix black and brown with great style. It's a color combo that used to be "off-limits" but now looks sophisticated and chic. However, because it was taboo for so long, I've never been able to quite get comfortable with it.
I've found that for me, the easiest way to mix the colors on my own is with a touch of leopard print. It ties the colors together and makes it obvious that the combination of colors was desired and not a mistake. I think that's the key when mixing colors like black and brown; black and navy; pink and orange--that you make it clear you meant to put the two together!
What "taboo" color combo do you like to try from time to time?

5 comments:

Legal Editor Mom said...

Your picture is a little dark (or maybe it's my eyes?) so I couldn't see this outfit too well, but I get the idea, and I like the use of the leopard print to bring it all together. I do something similar with black and grey, but my big color taboo that I've just recently tried is pink and red. They're such unique colors that they always seemed to clash, until I found a skirt that has both colors in it and allowed me to experiment a bit.

Academichic said...

Yay for mixing black and brown! I don't really believe in "taboo" color mixes, it's all about experimenting and finding shades of a color that work well together (for me). You look great in this all-neutral outfit with the scarf as a pop of interest! S.

Ally said...

I pic is too dark to see the colors, but I like what you're going for. Leopard is a good way to mix brown and black :)

Anonymous said...

It took me FOREVER to do black and brown, but now I love 'em together! I agree that leopard makes that mix easier to do.

I hope to pair red and green someday without looking like Santa ...

Lmac said...

Red and green is a great one! I'm so gonna try that! So far I've combined black and brown, black and navy (that's my favorite!) I never thought of doing orange and pink! Sounds like a challenge! Looks like my blog will be getting another update tonight! :)