Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Michelle Obama-inspired Ally

The lovely ladies of Thrifty Muse are holding a Michelle Obama Wardrobe Challenge today and you KNOW I couldn't say no to it! I've been inspired by Mrs. Obama for a while now and have named my favorite necklace after her :) I love simple, classic looks with a little punch and she's perfected it.

Since I was so damn excited about this challenge, I wore a MO outfit yesterday AND today! The New York Daily News has a great MO photo gallery that served as some inspiration.

As soon as I saw this outfit I fell in loooooove. It's so classic and chic. And let it be known, I LOVE that she doesn't wear hose. LOVE IT. I think hose are so dated and just not a good look for women under 65.

However, if your legs aren't beautifully colored and long like Mrs. O's, I'd say keep those babies covered until Spring ;) You know, like what Leslie and I are doing!











Camel cardi: NY&Co.

Purple lace cami: Old Navy

Black pants: Old Navy

purple trouser socks: TJ Maxx

Black double-strap Mary Janes: Target

necklace: gift







Closeups:

































Mrs. O also really knows how to work a pair of pants. Hers fit FAR better than any of mine do, but I think being almost 6' tall is on her side in this case :)



















I also love the black studded Azzedine Alaia belt she wore with almost everything this summer. The suds are just enough and while I am still looking for one in my budget, I do have shoes that are of the same style!



















I think a woman's best accessory is her family. Mrs. Obama always looks stunning when she's in the arms of her husband or when she's with her daughters.



























Today's inspiration comes from a combination of all these last few photos:
black button down: Old Navy

black cuffed trousers: Old Navy

Pink/orange scarf: vintage Vera via Athena

black studded slingbacks: Nine West

This is one of my favorite scarves and I've been waiting to wear it. When I saw Sasha in her cute pink/orange coat and scarf at the Inauguration I knew this scarf would be more "in" now than ever before. Thanks, S!!








Closeups:




























Family is important to us all, not just fabulous First Ladies. This bracelet belonged to my Me-Maw and she gave it to me years and years and years ago.



















I may keep this MO stuff up all week, y'all. I've had so much fun with it. I make no secret about being inspired by her as it is, but I have a few other outfits in mind...stay tuned!!

I don't have this dress (yet!) but how adorable is it? It'd be very Mrs. Obama with some flats and fat pearls:
Women: Women's Tie-Waist Shirtdresses - Blue Floral

And these flats?? Yes, please!!
Ancourt Flat - Gold


I hear DC is cold this time of year, so a coat is necessary too!
SWING COAT

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many cute Michelle-inspired looks! Ally, you're a natural for this, as a classic girl - love BOTH of your outfits. Especially dig the scarf.

Legal Editor Mom said...

I, too, like Mrs. Obama's style and with just a few exceptions, have enjoyed her outfits. You definitely are a natural and it's always nice when you see something that inspires you!

Leslie said...

Pink and orange is oh so in now thanks to a 7 year old--love it!!

She was wearing hose on inauguration day....I would say you have to in that cold but they were the super sheer kind you can hardly see. If youre going to wear hose, those are the only kinds I think should be allowed.

Cathryn said...

I love that you took inspiration from Sasha Obama! That pink and orange scarf is darling, and it doesn't look at all childish.

Great take on pearls in the first outfit. Embrace the pearls. You know you want to.

Anonymous said...

Love the scarf and the fact that it makes me think of spring temps and serbert is an added bonus on a cold & snowy day like today. Also, love the bracelet from Me-Maw!

Christina said...

Michelle Obama has such great style. I love it!!

Lori said...

Michelle is so classy, and you've done a great job of styling yourself like her. Great outfits!

Milly said...

very nice!...love the necklace and scarf

Cathryn said...

Be sure to vote for your favorite ensembles in the Michelle Obama Challenge. (You can choose more than one.)

http://fashiongirlsgallery.blogspot.com/2009/02/michelle-obama-challenge-vote.html