Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy Oaks Day!

Jacket: CAbi (Spring 2008)

Cami: CAbi (Spring 2008)

Knit Dress: CAbi (Spring 2007)

Skinny Belt: Old Navy

Pumps: Pleaser


It's the Friday before the first Saturday in May which means it's my favorite Louisville holiday-- The Kentucky Oaks! For those of you not from the area, the Oaks is the second biggest day of racing behind the Kentucky Derby. The Oaks is the race for the top 3 year old fillies only and is really "Louisville's Day at the Downs." The Derby is fabulous -- yours truly was a Kentucky Derby Festival Princess in 2001 but that's a whole other post and story-- but it is full of out of towners. The Oaks just feels more local. You, your cutest hat and outfit, and 100,000 of your closest Louisvillian friends.

This is NOT my Oaks outfit. I actually wore this to work earlier in the week but backdated posts so you would have one today since I wont be able to post. I will be attending the Oaks and promise to take pictures though! Hopefully the weather will cooperate better than last year! In 2008 (pictured below), Ally, Jamie and I, along with our friend Kim, attended and had great grandstand seats, 3 rows from the track, halfway down the stretch. Unfortuately, we only saw one race before the skies opened and it stormed for 4 straight hours while we hid under cover and then just gave up and left to watch on tv. The weathermen lied and said scattered thunderstorms. Still not quite over it.

Crossing my fingers for clear skies for Oaks 2009! I wont be in the grandstand this year so won't be quite as glammed up but will be in the new Infield Club which is being compared to a more casual private sports bar atmosphere. I promise a full report back--and Oaks/Derby fashion analysis of course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm moving to Louisville this summer and I've just loved seeing how excited you are about the Oaks/Derby. I can't wait to be a part of it all. :)

Anonymous said...

Have an awesome time, beautiful. And PLEASE tell us about being crowned Kentucky Derby Festival Princess sometime soon!

Lmac said...

What a great group photo! I love your pumps in your outfit! They are so sharp!