Friday, May 15, 2009

Overcoming those old-fashioned rules



Denim Jacket: Gap Outlet

Swirl Tee: CAbi (Spring 2008)

Ankle Pants: CAbi (Spring 2009)

Pumps: Chinese Laundry

I actually debated back and forth today about whether to wear flesh tone pumps or black pumps. I tend to gravitate towards the black (that old adage of wearing the color at the base of your outfit) but as I was getting dressed today I thought wearing a camel pump may lengthen my legs and pull out the camel in the shirt. Reese Witherspoon did a similar thing recently wearing nude wedges with black ankle pants so I decided if Reese could do it I could too!

Some of those old fashioned "rules" like wearing the color shoes of the bottom of your outfit, no white before Derby Day, etc are so hard to overcome mentally but I'm working on them all. I've made a vow to break all those "old-fashioned" rules this year. I started wearing my white jeans early and I'm going to wear them into fall, have been changing up the shoes, etc. What other old-fashioned rules do you find it hard to overcome?

10 comments:

Goober said...

Until recently, I had a hard time having my shoe color not be a color of something in my outfit and being very matchy-matchy. Now, I've branched out and use shoes as a pop of color.

Unknown said...

I have to agree. Going with the nude tone does lengthen your legs. I'll have to remember that ;)

fashionafterforty.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I feel ya - old habits die hard. I love the way the camel pumps look here, though, so here's to rule-breaking!

Beth said...

I still can't get behind tights or hose with open toed shoes but I've seen a lot of people wearing it!

Kelly said...

Think you made the right choice - it's a little unexpected but still polished!

Taylor said...

I never would have thought to do the camel pumps with black pants but you are totally making it work!

My rule I can't seem to get over? Black and brown together. I hate it. I just can't do it.

Tracey said...

I really like this, Les!
This is something I would wear. I love a good denim jacket and black capris together. Good work :)

Toni said...

I agree with Beth. Tights and open toe shoes might be fashionable but,ooooh,not for me.

Legal Editor Mom said...

Besides hose and open toe shoes, I have a hard time with a coat that's shorter than a dress or skirt.

KT said...

I like this look! I love wearing nude colored pumps. I wear them more often than black ones!