Monday, May 11, 2009

Answering your questions re: my CAbi collection



Scarf: Macy's (it has shoes on it, hehe!!)

White Wrap Tee: CAbi (Spring 2009--I love these thin wrap tees and seriously always purchase every color because they are my go-to tee because they hide oh-so-much on this apple shaped gal)

Black Ankle Pants: CAbi (Spring 2009)

Denim Jacket: Gap (Bought for $10 at the outlet on vacation 2 years ago!)

Pumps: Pleaser

I've been asked before about my CAbi clothes and how I consider them "cheap" as in the name of our blog. I wanted to take a moment to answer your questions.

CAbi clothes are by no means "cheap" -- many of them are more investment pieces that may cost a bit more than a regular store (I would estimate CAbi to be in the Ann Taylor price demographic--but will say the Spring 09 season, 90% of the items were under $100 which made this gal quite pleased) but have great fit and quality so for me, end up being worth it. As we've said before, I tend to invest more in clothing basics as opposed to accessories--just my personal style. However, I have a good friend who always thought I was insane (to put it mildly) to spend a little more on clothing but joined me for a party once and ended up buying a wrap tee and jeans. She told me later it was totally worth it-- she had other black shirts and jeans in her closet but she never wore them anymore and was getting rid of them because they just didn't compare. She's now a regular every season and it is really her main shopping of the year! For basics that you'll wear for years and with everything, I think it can be worth it if you find a great fit/cut/fabric.

So back to the original question of how I get the clothing at a "cheap" price.....understand what we consider "cheap" is always relative to each individual, but I will say I didnt pay full price for all the items I own. I have for some great pieces and will continue to on occasion, but I absolutely have more items than I would otherwise because of their great hostess benefits. Depending on the amount sold at your show, you can get a select number of items at half price and even cash off in some instances! In addition, each consultant sells their sample line at the end of the season (first dibs to hostesses, then attendees) at a significant discount so I have put some items aside for the end of the season before (sort of like layaway!). I've been hosting shows and attending for several years so have built up quite the collection. You'll notice that I've started marking the collection date when I can remember so you all dont think it all came from a recent season. Many items are several years old now but they just build year after year.

I hope that explains and makes more sense to you. If you've never been to a party, I would encourage you to attend one or host one just to check the clothes out. Many times at home parties I know you are pressured to buy but CAbi is completely not like that--great if you see something you like (you probably will!) and ok if you don't--I've had people attend and not buy and it's always ok. But it's a great way to shop with friends and get new ideas on how to mix and match what you may already have in your closet--that's my personal favorite part.

We always love reader questions at Cute on the Cheap about our clothes, style, advice, etc. Feel free to email us and we'll respond with either a private or public answer--whatever you prefer!

4 comments:

The WalMart Vegan said...

I think cheap is all relative. I had one favorite purple suit that I paid more than I have ever paid for any other outfit. BUT because it was a favorite if I broke the cost down by the amount of times I wore it -- it may have been the cheapest item per wear in my closet. I almost cried when I gave it away...happy because it was too big now and sad because it was too big now.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Modest Mom: It's cheap if you calculate cost-per-wear for something you love that's high quality, classic, and gets used for years and years ... which your Cabi stuff clearly does!

Leslie said...

Agree with both of you--it's all relative and Im huge on cost-per-wearing! Great basics I dont mind putting the money down for!

Milly said...

cute scarf..love the color