Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gravely and cool

We had a cool snap recently (though I guess it's not a "snap." It's November after all) and I ended up dressing like the weather: Dark and sleepy.
Dress: Target

black/white scarf: vintage Vera

Green Tajmina: Target

Gray tights: Walmart

Pewter heels: Cole Haan

Bracelet: gift







I had originally photographed this outfit earlier in the day at work but you couldn't tell my tights were gray, so I took this when I went to visit Al out at the house. He's been working until after midnight every night and we're close to being ready to move in. Now, we will be sleeping in the kitchen for a while, but at least we'll there!
I love this scarf SO much. It's probably one of my very favorites. I scored it on eBay a year or so ago for a few bucks.

















This bracelet is one of my prized possessions. Before the wedding, I'd asked Al if he had any jewelry that was his mom's so I could wear it at our wedding. I was going to wear a bracelet of my mom's and I thought it'd be nice to wear something that was his mom's. She passed away several years ago and I wanted a way to pay tribute to her without being too morbid.

Al didn't have any but called his sister. She called me and said their mom didn't dress up much but that she had this bracelet and necklace that had been given to their mom by her grandmother. Al's sister said I probably wouldn't like it but gave it to Al for me to wear. She told me I could keep it since she never dressed up and it was way too flashy for her. Well, you know how I feel about flash :) I bawled a little (I pretty much cried the whole week before the wedding. Overwhelming emotions, y'all.) but was so honored and thrilled that she wanted me to have this jewelry.

When Al came home with it the tears started flowing again. It was perfection. It was totally my style, totally matched what I was going for jewelry-wise for the wedding, and would be the perfect compliment to my mom's bracelet.

The necklace is just like the bracelet, only longer. I need to get the clasp repaired, but I probably wouldn't wear it b/c I'm so afraid to lose it. The bracelet is too big and gets hung on stuff, so I'm going to reserve it for special occasions too. Wearing it all day made me a nervous wreck and I fiddled with it constantly.

Sorry I've not shared any wedding pictures yet. I want to make sure the photographer is okay with me posting them (they're not released to us yet), and I've been forgetful about asking. In short: the photographs are amazing and I can't wait to do a wedding wrap up on how I blew my wad on shoes (imagine that) and managed to make it all come together in spite of that.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

That scarf is perfection.

And that story about the bracelet is so sweet!

Becky said...

Gorgeous bracelet-I love pieces with stories!

Sara said...

That bracelet is absolutely beautiful! And such a lovely story to go with it.

Hillary said...

Yes, I love the bracelet story! Yay to finally getting into the house (even if you're gonna have to sleep in the kitchen)

Leah said...

I love that bracelet... and what a sweet way to remember her!

I can't wait to see wedding pictures!

Ally said...

Thanks! I love the bracelet SO MUCH. It meant the world to have my mom and his mom on my wrist. I was lucky enough to also have my mama there in person, but it was so special to have them both right there.

Boutique Girl said...

It is so good to be seeing you more often! That is great news about the house and I look forward to the wedding photos!

Deborah-lee said...

What a lovely bracelet and a lovely gift.

The scarf is like an artwork!! I love it!!