Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thoughts on fashion blogging...

There's been a lot of talk on the blogs lately about fashion blogging and how realistic some blogs are (or more specifically, aren't). One of the first fashion blogs I ever started reading was Allie over at My Wardrobe Today. What drew me to her was she was a real woman with a real body. She wore clothes I could afford or even had in my closet. She went to work every day. I could relate to her.

However, she recently posted about why she wasn't blogging much these days. Again, I can relate. I'm not rich and skinny. I don't buy designer clothing, wear vintage fur, or pose in fabulous locations. I'm frequently uninspired, I come in to work before everyone and snap my photo, I shop the sale racks, and I'm broke as hell right now. I'm not trying to break into the fashion industry or make a living off this. I just love the sense of community I've found with this and have made some awesome friends along the way.

Kimberly at Fab Finds Under $50 weighed in on this as well as Budget Chic. I hope you take the time to read their takes as I can't agree with them more.

Now, on with the show! :)


Cardi: NY&Co

Ruffle top: NY&Co

Pencil skirt: NY&Co

Tights: George via Walmart

Leopard flats: Stuart Weitzman (via Zappos outlet for $40-ish I think)

Necklace: Target (I can't find it online but it's one of the lines from the case and it's currently 75% off. Cream, champagne, and grey pearls on goldtone metal. Very cute.)




Both my tights and skirt are brown but the lighting in my office combined w/my crappy cell phone make for the bottom half being a big blur. My camera battery died (snapped too many pics of the house renovations!) and I can't find my charger. Story of my life, y'all.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Ally, I love your blog! Not because we are sisters and go way back but because it is SO relateable...not all of us are size 2 or 4 and not all of us can buy designer...not all of us want to be in the fashion industry. Some of us just need a little inspiration to get out of our rut...I too have a "uniform" for work and it is nice to get inspiration from real women!

Goober said...

Your blog is one of my favorites because it is so real - not a supermodel with unlimited funds. Seeing real women and their own personal style, especially on a budget, is so inspiring to me. I look at magazines and think - um, I have body fat, that is NOT going to look like that on me. But fashion blogs of real women who often shop at the same stores I do, women who have a budget and wear something other than a size O - that is true inspiration.

Kimberly said...

Oooh, loving the leopard flats with this!

Love you, my dear, and love "real" blogs from "real" women!

Kelly said...

You already know this but I love your blog and you because you *are* realistic. And I like your shoes. And this color combo.

Leah said...

I've been reading those posts and I couldn't agree more! Allie's blog was one of the first style blogs I ever found and I appreciated it so much because she was a real woman with a real body and budget. It's hard to get inspiration from someone who looks like a supermodel and wears designer clothes every day.

By the way, the shoes are so cute!

Corie said...

I totally agree with you here. I've browsed thru so many blogs that didn't seem as real to me, but they still managed to be somewhat inspiring. I'm a real woman, I have curves, I'm 5'3, I'm not skinny but I dress for me. And I feel good. I love your blog! and your outfits are really cute and real to me.

laniza said...

Love the leopard print flats, too! Are they comfy? I'm totally going to try this color combo one of these days.

Tina said...

I love your blog b/c I can relate to it. And I love the color of your cardi today.

Can I steal some pics of you wearing your blue wrap dress from Target? I want to show how different peopple all wear the same item of clothing, and that's the item I chose.

Ally said...

Thank you all - you're too sweet and I'm so lucky to have women like you reading :)

@laniza They're REALLY comfortable. A lot of flats are, well...flat. And they make my feet hurt. These have a tiny heel (like, 1/4 inch) and are coushy inside. Stuart Weiztman knows how to make a badass shoe, but they also come w/a high price - way out of my budget. Keep an eye out for a sale and try 'em out.

@Tina Absolutely! I starred your "call" for pics in this dress and then I totally forgot. Please add me - I love that dress (I've posted it a couple times on here I think).

Lini said...

I'm with you sista!! Im all for real blogs, by real women, that wear real clothes. I shop clearance racks, Im not a size 2 and could never afford to have a super snazzy blog, b/c I simply dont have the time. I want to relate to someone, not envy everything they have and feel bad about myself b/c I cant live up to those standards. Thank you, My Wardrobe Today, Fab Finds Under $50 and Budget Chic for inspiring me to start my own blog but to continue doing so in this age consumerism.

xoxo Kellz* said...

very cool blog I love how ist all so cheap:)

Raquelita said...

I just came across your blog, and I will definitely be back!

One of the things that I love about style blogs versus fashion magazines is seeing clothes on women who aren't a size 0 or buying all designer brands.

Unknown said...

I soooo love this!!! As a newbie blogger at the tender age of 45 , my shots aren't perfect, and I have the newest self-obsession, the chicken neck! I like the youthful , glossy photo styles of the young bloggers , it's as if I'm looking at a clothing Ad in a magazine! But I can only draw inspiration from them. I try out the looks , but in my own thrift-store, badly lit way! I always look at the Style first and really try hard not to belittle my offerings at the same time. I like "real" bloggers with "real" lives ,too! Blogs like yours inspire others (like me) to continue to blog and meet wonderful ladies :) Great topic!!!