Saturday, December 6, 2008

Special Occasion -- Ally

Holiday and end-of-year parties are in full swing for both Al and I and I managed to be wholly unprepared for them all. I was invited to an industry event (they called it a "gala") at the last minute so I was scrambling for something appropriate to wear to this black tie optional event.

Fortunately most folks don't wear formal wear, so I was safe wearing this dress. I dressed it up with pearls and more make up than usual. Several women were complimenting my cardigan and I'd just smile and say thanks. Finally I told one woman (whom I know professionally) my secret: It's a cheap Target cardi with a pearl pin. Nothing fancy :)

Dress: No idea the brand. Got it at Sears back in the spring

Cardi: Target

Tights: Walmart

Shoes: Steve Madden

Jewelry: Gifts, Shane Co, Walmart, Brighton


You'll have to excuse how flushed I am. I took this after we got home and I had enjoyed a couple glasses of wine at dinner.






Since it was below freezing, this called for two pairs of tights. I layered my black tights over my gray ones and not only was it extraordinarily warm, but it made the black tights blacker and look less cheap. You know, b/c they are cheap :)

I wore this dress back in May to the Oaks with Leslie, Jamie, and Kim. It was a much warmer (and rainier) day so no cardi or tights were required. I also wore a fabulous hat that day! Despite getting soaked to the core that day, we had a blast!

















Close up of jewelry and pin:



















I've worn all these pearls together before and really like the look. It's about the only time I wear some of the pieces (smaller pearl strand necklace/bracelet and Brighton bracelet). The others I wear more often (Michelle Obama pearls, ADPi silver bracelet)

14 comments:

Louella said...

you look beautiful but a little flushed. glad to see you wearing the pearl broach. i know several pieces of your jewelry were from Santa (better be good you know he is watching). you wear them well.

Kelly said...

You look great - love the brooch!

Pictures of Leslie taken other than specifically for her blog (like that Oaks pic) always surprise me. For some reason she looks completely different to me in her posed outfit posts!

Ally said...

Mama - You tell Santa I was REALLY good this year. Better than ever I think!

Kelly - I think she looks more like herself in these non-blog pics. I think it's the flash. She's beautiful no matter what, but looks more like the Leslie I've known my whole life in more candid shots.

Hillary said...

So cute. The dress with the cardi worked weel especially since you added the touch of glam with the jewelry. very nice indeed!

Leslie said...

I never would have thought that summery dress could transition to winter but it does so well with the cardigan and tights! Looks great!

Jules said...

It really is a dress for all seasons. Maybe the fact that its black and white helps the transition

Tracey said...

Love it with the tights!!

Pattyannie said...

You look really nice! Please tell me how you can wear two pairs of tights. One pair is hard enough for me to wear!

Erica said...

You look beautiful! The pearl pin totally transforms the cardi--I wouldn't have guessed it was from Target! Though they do often have fabulous things. :)

Boutique Girl said...

Very nice outfit - the cardigan does not look like a target find the piun works well!

Noticed the coach store bag behind you - I LOVE Coach!!!

Sara said...

LOVE the dress! So cute.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Classic! Love it.

KT said...

Super cute!!!!

Boutique Girl said...

I will post the recipe tomorrow it is from a very old WW cook book and I do not have it or know it by heart!