Monday, June 30, 2008

Closet -- Ally

Today's another long post - bear with me, kittens!

Makeover mania started last weekend with our closet.

Al and I are fortunate to have very spacious and ample closets. The one in our bedroom isn't a true "walk in" but it's big enough for one to "step in" and select clothing. We have a second identical closet in our guest room. It's on tap for a SERIOUS overhaul. It's a bloody mess and downright embarrassing. Of course, I'll post pics :)

Since it's so roomy, we're able to share the space and, since I'm an only child and he sorta grew up as such (his sister is 20 years his elder), we're very MINE and YOURS. The space is split, nearly, right down the center. It works and we don't bicker. Well, hardly anyway... :)

One thing evident by these before shots: we're lazy. Very very lazy.


Maddy insisted upon "helping" at first. Al says she's being as in the way as possible, but I think she's well-intended.

The closet is about twice as wide as what you see - it's almost the width of the room.















Disregard the "Great St. Louis Boobs" tshirt. haha












These are kinda my JV and Freshman teams of shoes. I have a shoe rack by the front door where the shoes in "current rotation" live. The rack in the closet (left) are shoes that are either out of season or ones I don't wear often. The other rack are shoes I rarely wear and should probably get rid of. I have more in the guest closet.

Maybe a shoe post is in the future...hum...





Al's side. That wooden chest up top was hand made by his father :) It's a lockbox and super special. I don't know what's in it, but it's likely noneofmybusiness.

For the record, Al has a LOT more clothes than this. I'm super lazy and am bad about putting away clothes. The pile on top of the shelf is his dry cleaning pile.












See how my shoes creep to his side? That's where the 50/50 rule slides (in my favor, of course).












Pile outside of the closet. More dry cleaning and stuff that really should be hung up.
















We tackled it and in a few minutes we had everything out and piled on the bed:

See the little drawers barely in frame on the right? That's where my undies and socks live. Al has something similiar on his side.















At this point we're about an hour in and a certain-someone (*cough*Maddy*cough*) was in full pouty mode:

I'm a Mean Mommy and didn't give her my full, undivided attention. The nerve!

Nevermind I made her a "spot" out of the way so she could stay upstairs with us. Brat.








Al did a little tidying up:
I love a man who vacuums -- especially one this cute!












We picked up hangers for me, an over-the-door hanger/rack/thingie for my side and a set of over-the-door hooks for Al's side. I needed a home for my belts and scarves and he needed a place to hang outfits, dry cleaning, etc.

Love this! Snagged it for $4!!


















I went with the teal hangers in lieu of pink, black or camel. I'm sure the camel or black would be more grown up, but no one sees in there but us (and now the collective internet) and a bright color is likely to make me smile in the morning. I'm quite the grump most mornings so I do whatever I can to cheer myself up.


Four hours later.... ta da!!!!!!!!!


















The canvas bins are from Target. $5.99 each - not bad! They're on sale this week for $5.50 :)

I have my bras, tanks, sleepwear, and weekend gear (old tshirts, etc) in these. I need to make labels b/c I keep forgetting where everything is!








The other shoe rack lives in the guest room now. I have big plans of turning that closet into a secondary lair for my shoes/purses. The purses live there currently.










Al got a great belt spinny rack at Bed Bath and Beyond. I gave him my old belt hanger to use for his ties.

His hangers are from Ikea.















Al's drawer thing came from Ikea also. He's had it for years.











I had a ton of coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond so everything we got was 20% off. If you don't already know this, take note: their coupons don't expire and you can use five at a time (one per item). We had eight items total so I got five and Al got three. I keep them in our cars so we always have them when we're there. The hangers were $32 after the coupon - a great deal for 50 hangers I think!

I've needed a good solution for my many necklaces but nothing's really worked. Back in my more single days (I love you, honey!) I would keep my necklaces on every doorknob in the place. Al tolerated it FAR longer than most men would, but the day he had trouble getting out of the bathroom was sorta the last straw. I moved my necklaces upstairs and really haven't worn them since. If I don't see it, I don't wear it. I decided to take a bunch of small nails, cover the inside closet walls and hang the necklaces from there.


I love it! I love standing there in the mornings (or the night before if I'm ambitious) and deciding what jewelry goes.

I'm trying to wear all the necklaces w/out repeats. So far, I'm not doing well!














The pink container on top of my drawer of drawers (*snort*) came from Target too ($2.99). I have my bracelets in it.
















Tracey told me about the clippies you can get for skirts and, of course, I picked up some of those as well! I'd read some pretty bad reviews about them, but like most things, user error is generally to blame.

They hold 2 skirts w/no issues!

$6.99 for 12 clippies











Whew!!!!!!!!!! I'm worn out! However, I'm not quite as exhausted as my furry little friend...
Still in the doorway...still pouting.

The closet may change, but the doggie stays the same.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration! My closets need a major overhauling and I am in the process of try to talk myself into tackling it this Saturday (I also am a bit lazy or would prefer to fill my time with other things). Our master bedroom has a walk-in closet that Dave fills completely. I have the closets in the guest room and the den, along with a shoe wall in the guest room. It is out of control. Hopefully I will get my tushy in gear and take care of it this weekend!

Ally said...

Good luck, honey! It helped me having Al there doing his part also. I'm a brat and if he's not working, neither am I!

Can't wait to see before/afters!!! :)

Jamie said...

GIRL!!!! That looks awesome!!! Way to go, and I love that Al was in there to help you. What a guy! Looks great! I love being able to see my clothes!

KT said...

Al- What a good guy. Whenever I get my husband to do something around the house I always make him pose for a picture because it does not happen very often. (Nice guy, but not very handy! Thank God he is cute and funny!)

Ally said...

J - Thanks! I think he knew he HAD to do his half if I was doing that much to mine :)

KT - He's the sweetest :) There's generally a bit of whining and thrashing about whenever housework comes up, but for the most part, I can't complain one bit!

Being cute helps, doesn't it??

Leslie said...

The outcome looks awesome!!! I can't wait to get some hangers of my own.

Tracey said...

looks great! i need to do something like that with my necklaces.. maybe after I come over and bust your hump about the guest closet, you can come over and help me organize jewelry! :)

Anonymous said...

You did a great job with your closet! I worked on mine a few nights ago and hit up the Container Store yesterday for organizational supplies. You've inspired me to really make mine look great!